USS Delbert D. Black is named for the first Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (MCPON) Delbert D. Black. MCPON Black enlisted in the U.S. Navy on March 14, 1941 and was assigned to the USS MARYLAND (BB 46), based in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. He was present when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and assisted in the defense of the fleet and subsequent recovery of those vessels deemed too damaged or unable to support. Following his tour on MARYLAND, he served on 8 additional ships, for a total of 21 years spent at sea. In 1967, he established the position of Senior Enlisted Advisor of the Navy, which was changed to Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy three months later. While MCPON, he oversaw the establishment of the Senior Enlisted Advisor position, which eventually became known as the Command Master Chief. The creation of programs during his tenure, to include full time billets for Career Counselors, expansion of uniform wear guidance, sea-pay increases and civilian clothing being allowed on ships, helped boost the retention and career advancement in a time the Navy was losing manpower. MCPON Black passed away on March 5, 2000. He is survived by his wife, Ima, their son Donny, and two grandsons.